Saturday, June 11, 2011

My Mother

So I thought I would do a blog post about my mother, my inspiration in my life. If you know me, you know that I love my momma (aka "Princess Deb") yes.... my mother thinks she is a princess but I guess she is!

My mother is probably the strongest person I know in my life. She has always been there for me from when I was a bratty 3 year old to an angsty teenager. She put up with me and I thank her for that.

She's been through a lot in her life. She has raised three children to do great things, i think my 2 brothers and I turned out pretty well. We were never really out of control (I'm sure she begs to differ) but we always had a good head on our shoulders.

From earlier on, my mom raised us on her own. She worked long hours to keep us in good schools and to give us the things we wanted. I never went without. No matter how hard she worked, she never really complained because she loved her children. Even when my father pretty much abandoned us a long time ago she, with the help of my grandparents, took care of us.

Fast track to my sophomore year of high school... she meets the love of her life, my now stepdad Lyn. Saying Lyn was a blessing to our family is an understatement. He without hesitation took us all in and cared for us. He loves my mother and treats her like a princess she deserves to be. Along with him came my amazing step family. I almost don't like saying step family because they are so much more than that to me.

So my mom last July about a week before I was going to move back to Starkville for my senior year had to go to the hospital for surgery. She was getting hernia surgery which usually takes about 45 mins. My stepdad was keeping me updated and everything and I hadn't heard back til 2.5 hours later she was out of surgery. I was glad she was out and ok but come to find out they found a 9lb. tumor on her ovary during surgery and had to remove it and her ovaries. I was freaking out but the doctors thought it was benign. They actually sent the tumor off to Harvard medical to examine it.

Come to find out later there was some cancerous cells in the tumor. The night I found out I was a wreck. I cried and cried. I was scared for my mother. That c-word, cancer, is literally the scariest word ever. To hear my mother had a cancerous tumor was enough for me.

Luckily they got it out early but they still wanted her to go through chemo as a precaution to make sure there was nothing left in her body.

She went through four rounds of chemo from October to January, if I am not mistaken. It was hard to see my mom in a weak stage. Someone who never shows weakness. I remember coming home for thanksgiving break and seeing my mom without hair. She was still the most beautiful thing in the entire world but I hated seeing her sick.

During christmas break I took her to all her chemo treatments and we had fun days. I would get us lunch and we would joke around. She always kept good spirits during this time. The nurses loved my momma and I loved the nurses too! Nurse Betty was my favorite. I actually miss seeing her!

Then mom was done and we were so happy. She actually wore her tiara and a nice dress to her last treatment. Thats my mom for you.

She started getting a little sick but then she got better and today I am happy to say SHE IS CANCER FREE! Saying that makes me so happy. To think if anything bad ever happened to my mom just breaks my heart into a million pieces.

Well my mom made it through and she is as happy as can be. Funny story, the day of my graduation she along with my stepdad and two brothers came into Starkville for the day. I drove myself and I had my purse. Well I couldn't walk with it so I was calling to her so I could give it to her. She had just walked into the coliseum. I found her and within half a second she just started balling her eyes out. I was in my cap and gown. She was so proud of me/ didn't think she would have been here for my graduation and just everything she had been through. It truly was a special moment. I make fun of her now but hands down that is my favorite memory of my mother and probably will be forever.

I love you mom and thank you for being my rock for the past 22 years.

No comments:

Post a Comment